Mango sticky rice, also known as "Khao Neeo Mamuang", is one of the most famous Thai specialties served in the majority of the country's restaurants. Thailand's national dessert, it consists of creamy glutinous rice combined with fresh mangoes, then drizzled with coconut milk. Here is how to prepare it at home (for 8 people).
200 grams of jasmine rice
350 ml. of water
250 ml. of unsweetened coconut milk
8 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
2 mangoes *peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds for garnishing (optional)
1. Slice the mangoes and place them in the refrigerator.
2. Place the rice in a saucepan with water and salt, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook the rice with the lid on for about 20 minutes, or until all the water has evaporated and the rice is soft.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, then stir and leave the lid on.
4. While the rice is cooking, place the coconut milk and sugar in a saucepan on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
5. Finally, slowly add the coconut milk mixture to the warm rice, then mix them thoroughly and let it cool.
6. To serve, place the mango slices around glutinous rice and garnish with sesame seeds (optional).
Enjoy your meal!